Authored by Katie McLeod
In the midst of all that is chaotic in the life around us, there are so many new opportunities to show kindness to those around us. We could all use a little extra thoughtfulness to brighten our day. Today, I want to give you ten different ways you can be kind to others.
1. Take bread and/or baked goods to a friend. Many of us can say that we have spent time in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes. If you’re anything like me though, you always bake extra. Package up some extras, and go for a drive to share with friends! To be extra thoughtful, include a little note letting your friends know how much you’ve missed them and why you appreciate your friendship with them. I can promise this will be a hit, and it’ll allow you see some of your favorite faces.
2. Surprise a family with groceries. You don’t have to spend a ton of money on this, but even some yummy snacks and fun drinks are super thoughtful. Some families are experiencing a loss of income during this time, so this a very sweet way to bless a family during this time. Bonus points for delivering to an older friend who doesn’t want/need to get out with large crowds at the grocery store.
3. Send coffee money to a friend or family member. This one is SO easy, and will be so appreciated! So many have been working overtime taking care of those who need it most. Take the time to send a $5 or $10 gift card (or Venmo or Cashapp) a healthcare worker you know to let them know their hard work is not going unnoticed!
4. Leave a generous tip for your favorite waiter or waitress at your favorite restaurant. As you frequent your favorite places, consider leaving a generous tip with your favorite waiter or waitress. They most likely have experience a lot of extra expenses.
5. Shop local! Small businesses have really taken a hit with everything going on. If you’re going to eat out, need a gift, or fixing up your landscaping, shop local! Another fun idea is to buy several gift cards for your favorite local restaurants, coffee shops and stores, and when you are able, have a date day with your spouse, or one of your kids! Other ways you can support local is by leaving a review for your favorite places online, sharing their posts, and engaging with them on social media. These are all completely free ways to leave a little love for your favorite local places.
6. Write hand-written letters to friends and family and tell them how much you love and miss them. Think of how excited you get when you receive a note in the mail from a friend! Take some time a write a few notes to your favorite people. This is so inexpensive, and will definitely be well received.
7. Make a list of friends you haven’t caught up with a while, and schedule a phone call or time together in person. This was one of my favorite things about quarantine. I have talked to so many friends who no longer live near me, and we have spent hours on the phone catching up on life. Make yourself a yummy coffee, cozy up on the couch, and call your loved ones!
8. Deliver a meal or coffee to one of your mom friends. So many moms are suddenly at home all day with their littles, and it can be exhausting! Even if your friend is already a stay-at-home mom, pick up her favorite coffee from a local shop, pick up from her favorite restaurant, or even some flowers or a new plant. It doesn’t have to be elaborate. It’s the thought that counts. Take something that you know is your friend’s favorite and let her know that you are thinking of her.
9. Start a new family tradition. Start something fun to do is start a weekly or monthly tradition. Some ideas include weekly taco nights, game nights, outdoor movie nights, Saturday morning family breakfasts and the list could go on. Get creative, and take the time to decide on something you know will make your spouse and/or kids feel loved through quality time with each other!
10. Plan a fun get together regularly. Even those of us who are introverts (hello, that’s me) have really missed quality time with our friends and family. Get people excited by planning a fun dinner party, game night, or cookout with your favorite people! You are able to show kindness to your people by giving them something to look forward to, and offering up your home to host.
I hope that these ideas were helpful, and some of them were new ideas to you. Many of us feel uncertain how to help or be thoughtful with everything going on right now. However, there are so many opportunities! You just have to be a little creative! If you have any other ideas, please let me know in the comments below!
Thank you Katie for all the wonderful ideas. Are you a guest writer?
[…] 10 Ways to Be Kind […]